We’ve curated a list of 50 incredible ways to fully embrace farm life this summer. From cuddling with baby animals and collecting fresh eggs for a farm-to-table breakfast to brushing horses and herding sheep with loyal farm dogs, each experience promises to be both educational and unforgettable.
Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, a creative soul, or simply seeking relaxation, a farm stay has something for everyone. Remember that each farm is unique, offering different experiences. Inquire with the farmer on what is offered before you visit!
Immerse Yourself In Farm Life
- Snuggle up with adorable baby animals like goats, lambs, and piglets!
- Collect eggs and treat yourself to a fresh farm breakfast
- Join the farmer in their daily chores, from feeding the animals to milking cows, sheep, or goats
- Spend some quality time with horses, brushing and braiding their manes and forming a special bond
- Get your hands dirty and help the farmer with harvesting produce fresh from the garden
- Pick fresh berries and try to get more in the bowl than in your mouth
- Test your plant knowledge by identifying the various greens growing in the greenhouse
- Team up with the shepherd or cowboy and learn about herding with dogs
- Hop on a tractor ride if they offer one, and enjoy the scenic views of the farm
- Explore the farm store for unique items you won’t find on Amazon
Nurture Your Creativity
- Create beautiful bookmarks or picture frame decorations by pressing flowers or leaves you find on the farm
- Make a lovely bouquet of wildflowers and get creative with a hair wreath too!
- Bring a musical instrument along and play in different spots around the farm – by the campfire, in the barn with the animals, or on the front porch
- Cook up a delicious meal using ingredients sourced directly from the farm
- Don’t forget your camera! Capture the diverse flora and fauna you encounter during your farm adventure
- Unleash your artistic side and sketch your favorite scenes from your stay – try landscapes, still life, or even a portrait of your favorite travel partner
- Let your imagination run wild and build a charming fairy house using rocks, sticks, moss, and leaves. Hide it in plain sight for the next guests to discover
- Get artsy and paint a rock with a special message, then hide it just like the fairy house
- Document your farm experiences either in a personal journal or share them with your host in their guestbook
- Make the most of any classes or workshops offered on the farm – it’s a great way to learn a new skill to bring home with you
Relax and Recharge
- Get lost in a new book during your stay and leave one for the next guest to discover and enjoy
- Treat yourself to a glass of wine and unwind while watching the sunset
- Embrace the early morning mood, brew some coffee or tea, and catch the magical sunrise from your porch
- Take some time to meditate and fully immerse yourself in the farm’s natural surroundings, engaging all your senses
- Put pen to paper and write a letter to a friend or family member
- Take a leisurely afternoon nap on a cozy hammock, or if you’re feeling tired, just take a nap anywhere you please!
- Indulge in the joy of an outdoor shower or bath – if your farm has a pool, even better!
- Experience the cozy charm of a campfire and enjoy a wonderful evening fireside
- Try out traditional yoga or, for a fun twist, attempt some downward dog poses with a friendly goat as your partner!
- Experience Earthing by getting involved in planting or simply strolling barefoot around the farm. Just be mindful of where you step!
Embrace Outdoor Adventure
- Take a refreshing dip and go for a swim in a nearby pond, river, or lake
- Saddle up and go for a horseback ride
- Enjoy a leisurely walk, scouting for the perfect spot to have a picnic
- Set out on a scenic bike ride, exploring the charming country roads nearby
- Feel the wind in your hair and go for an invigorating run amidst the beauty of the countryside
- Grab a kayak or canoe and have a great time paddling on a nearby pond, river, or lake
- Bring along a pair of binoculars to observe the diversity of wildlife. You can use the free Merlin app to identify birds by their song and iNaturalist, National Geographic’s app, to identify plants and wildlife
- End your day with a stargazing session. The free Sky Guide app will help you find and learn about your favorite constellations!
- Explore the farm’s trails on foot and take in your surroundings
- If fishing is your thing, have some catch-and-release fun – or catch and cook your own meal!
Unleash Your Playful Side
- Play a game of horseshoes, bocce ball, cornhole, croquet, badminton, or any other outdoor games you love!
- Fly a kite high up in the farm’s open sky
- Perfect your stone-skipping skills by creating ripples across the nearby pond or river
- Play a fun round of “I Spy” and see what exciting things you can spot around the farm
- Listen for the night sounds on the farm and try to identify them
- Not just counting sheep before sleep, but counting the real sheep on the farm – they’re adorable!
- Catch fireflies, marvel at their glowing magic, and then set them free to light up the night
- Create an exciting scavenger hunt and let the adventure lead you all around the farm
- Relive your childhood days and enjoy a game of tag or a thrilling game of hide and seek
- Splash around in the mud on a rainy day – sometimes, the simplest joys are the best! (We think we’ve run out of ideas. lol)